What to Do with the Mold in Your Bathroom Grout

Mold thrives in moist places. That is why it is not surprising that you can it wreaking havoc in your bathroom grout.

While molds may seem harmless, they can pose a threat to your health. Even the non-toxic ones, like mucor and chaetomium, can make a person sick with constant exposure.

The truth about molds

Molds come in various strains, but only a few of them produce toxins. Studies show that these toxins are strong enough to cause health problems to people who get exposed to them regularly.

Like mushrooms, molds are also a part of the fungi family. These are types of plants that only need water or decomposing materials to grow and thrive. You can often find them outdoors, in air currents, or in water. Once they get inside your house areas where there is moisture, you will soon notice a musty order in your space.

Molds typically reproduce quicker during the hot, humid months. Therefore, it is advisable to check the mold count every day to know if you are safe. If the count is high, it is best to keep your windows closed to keep them from coming in.

You can also keep the AC unit running for the meantime to help dehumidify your house. If you do not have an AC, keep your windows open. But ensure that everything is dry to prevent them from infesting your home.

Cleaning mold infestation

mould cleanerBefore you start cleaning the mold, make sure that you take the necessary precautions to protect yourself from exposure. You need to keep the bathroom area well ventilated while you clean it. Also, wear protective gear to avoid any contamination.

These steps are crucial, especially if you are sensitive to molds. You can wear either vinyl or rubber gloves when using cleaning products. Also, wear protective eyewear to keep your eyes safe from any accidental splashes.

You can use any commercial cleaner when removing mold from most surfaces. You can mix ten parts water to one part of laundry bleach. Meanwhile, if you want to get rid of the mold spores, you can also rely on a commercial fungicide or bleach to do the work.

Be mindful when using cleaners, though. Never mix bleach with other types of commercial cleaners. That is because it can create toxic gases. which can be detrimental to your health. If the mold has stained the grout, you can always call for tile and grout cleaning services to get assistance.

The first step that you need to take is to dampen the surface with water and then put a cleaning product mixture on top of it. You can use a scrubbing brush to get rid of the mold from its surface. Wipe it away or rinse it off to get rid of excess cleaner and mold.

Fighting a war against mold infestation can take a lot of time and effort. If you feel that it is beyond your capability, then it is time to call in the experts for help.

Share to

The Author

Scroll to Top