Types of Green Insulation Materials

With the dwindling environment, most elements are now pushing toward eco-friendliness. Eco-conservation to cut back on energy expenses and a focus on green energy alternatives are currently all the rage.

Even if you invest in an eco-friendly energy option, you should also focus on ensuring you minimize the loss of the heat or cool your harness in your home. Most people are, however, apprehensive of the available insulation materials seeing as most are not as eco-friendly.

Thankfully, there are now some green materials insulation contractors in Houston can recommend for your property. This way, you can guarantee that you are playing a part in eco-conservation all round. The following are some of these material options.


This is considered the most eco-friendly alternative for insulation since it comprises 80–85% recycled newsprint. The remaining 15% of cellulose contains ammonium sulfate, boric acid, and borax. These make your insulation fire and insect-resistant.

The R-value of cellulose is around 3.5/inch, and it is thus used interchangeably with fiberglass. Cellulose is available as loose fill insulation and can be used on existing walls, open attic floors, and other areas. When blown into these areas, the insulation level of cellulose is increased.


This insulation material comprises 15% plastic fibers and 85% recycled cotton. These components are treated using borate that makes the insulation fire and insect resistant. Some cotton insulation products use recycled denim, and this reduces their manufacturing costs.

To this end, cotton insulation is generally inexpensive. The R-value of this insulation material is approximately 3.4/inch, and it is available in batts. It is therefore used as an alternative to fiberglass insulation.

Sheep Wool

This is among the standard natural and eco-friendly material options for insulation. The material is naturally fire-resistant and will retain heat and moisture, thus averting heat loss through condensation.

Fortunately, it maintains its breathability even when wet through repeated wetting followed by drying dries out the borate used to boost its pest and mold resistance. Sheep wool insulation has R-values as high as 3–4.

Polyurethane Foam

Spraying polyurethane foamThis is a durable polymer that has adequate heat resistance when used as insulation. Its R-value per inch is approximate 4–5, making it an ideal material for attic and basement walls.

Some of the modern polyurethane foam insulation products also include vegetable oil and soil as opposed to petroleum products. Moreover, polyurethane foam insulation products are rigid and can hence, also boost your property’s integrity. They are available in structural insulation panels (SIPs) and rigid board insulation.


This is a spray foam insulation option made of castor oil. Its volume expands about 1000 times when sprayed into your ceiling or walls. It will not only seal the drafts and leaks in your home but also cancel the noise.

Icynene insulation should, however, also be installed with a ventilation system. Although this increases its upfront expenses, it drastically reduces your energy bills over an extended period.

Eco-friendly insulation is now possible with the above material options. Other than their eco-friendly nature, these materials also have minimal impact on the health of your building’s occupants. The materials will, however, only deliver their advertised insulation levels when professionally installed.

Share to

The Author

Scroll to Top